One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or resembling a fish.‘members of the finny tribe’
- ‘The cuisine is based on those familiar denizens of the Adriatic - prawns, squid, mussels, fish of various kinds - that grace the tables of nine out of every ten Venetian restaurants; what is different is the way the finny tribe is prepared.’
- ‘Anyway, the finny denizens for which Orkney is renowned are these odd trout; brown trout on the face of it but happy enough in the brine.’
- ‘Most are roundly hated by Australians, who judge most finny creatures by their eating qualities.’
- ‘Or if he is hunting at a higher level, the bird is able to check his momentum, to put on brakes midair, in less than the distance of his own length, and to plunge with the speed of thought upon his finny prey.’
- ‘If you can get the finny little fellows interested, they might become curious.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.