One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounPhilosophy Mathematics
Rejection of the belief that anything can actually be infinite.
- ‘The make believe world of predicate logic was a mere conservative extension of finitism.’
- ‘Of course, an analysis of the notion of finitism cannot be presented as a theorem.’
- ‘Dummett concludes that one route to such a local revisionism is a hard-headed finitism in which one denies that there is a determinate fact concerning the outcome of a procedure that has not been carried out.’
- ‘According to meaning finitism, the move to the next instance is not intuitive or interpretive but ‘blind’.’
- ‘Barnes built finitism into the core of his approach to social theory and to the analysis of social order.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.