One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Thick paint designed to be applied with the fingers, used especially by young children.
- ‘This is a fine way to honor the messy munchkin inside you with plenty of papier-mâché, finger-paints, or oodles of play-doh!’
- ‘The pictures in my book are all finger-paints.’
verb[NO OBJECT]usually as noun finger-painting
(especially of children) apply paint with the fingers.
- ‘The junior artist can be in charge of finger-painting, while you take charge of the actual construction of the piece.’
- ‘Joe, Blue, and their friends are finger-painting and Blue wants to add someone else to the picture.’
- ‘When I came home from an exhausting day of finger-painting in preschool, I never had the option of relaxing before a TV set and singing along to my favorite songs from Barney and Friends.’
- ‘Just like old times… When we were three years old and at the same daycare, finger painting on the walls.’
- ‘There's another flashback scene where you see Evan in kindergarten class and he finger-paints the words ‘Kill me before it's too late.’’
- ‘‘My whole life I am constantly fighting all kinds of depression and terror and anxiety and I find that, like a mental patient in an institution, if they keep the patient busy finger-painting then they are more relaxed,’ said the director.’
- ‘She suspects she could do something similar by finger-painting while blindfolded.’
- ‘Gone are the days when nursery meant simply playing with Lego and finger-painting.’
- ‘He finds her finger painting herself, like the five-year-old they lost.’
- ‘And then, after we sing, we'll do some finger-painting.’
- ‘This early hand- and finger-painting is actually a basic transfer process that marks the beginning stages of what is later called a ‘monoprint’ process.’
- ‘It's silly, debatably sexy and it allows for a kind of freeform creativity most people haven't engaged in since finger-painting as a tyke.’
- ‘There are many interesting and fun activities on offer: important historical lessons can be learnt at the Constitutional Court and the two prisons while children finger-paint, make puppets or climb the tree of justice.’
- ‘Forget the busloads of schoolkids and finger painting - this is real art education.’
- ‘You love to finger-paint with artistic Pisceans’
- ‘I know that whatever I do, whether it's messy finger-painting at age 2 or sloppy typing at age 42, she is going to be supportive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.