One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small bowl containing water for rinsing the fingers during or after a meal.
dish, basin, pan, pot, crock, crucible, mortarView synonyms
- ‘However, all these semantics were soon forgotten when the largest steamer of mussels arrived, complete with another bowl for the shells and a finger bowl (for my greasy fingers from the butter pat).’
- ‘Dad and I went to this fancy restaurant where they used those little finger bowls.’
- ‘As a child, I fashioned ersatz cockpit headsets out of plastic finger bowls and wire hangers; I secretly spoke into my Texas Instruments digital wristwatch while playing in my backyard.’
- ‘This was an amazing ‘bouillabaisse’ soup which was served with a dish for seafood shells and a finger bowl.’
- ‘Eat it and you'll be like that man who drank his finger bowl in front of Queen Victoria.’
- ‘He grabbed a cup of hot water from a tray and a pinch of green dust from a small finger bowl.’
- ‘Guests dipped into their finger bowls and they were set to the side.’
- ‘The Offertory Gifts included a chalice, ciboria, jug and finger bowl, a credence set, a copy of the commemorative book and a specially commissioned commemorative plate, one of which was presented to each employee present.’
- ‘Serve with lemon and black pepper and fresh bread and a finger bowl!’
- ‘In spite of my most skilful wielding of cutlery, I had to have recourse to the finger bowl that had been brought along with the main course.’
- ‘They can also be added to the bath, used as a light cologne or body spray, and even used in finger bowls for elegant, romantic dinners.’
- ‘One of Sally's favorite stories, perhaps apocryphal, concerns a dinner guest who had never seen a finger bowl before and so started drinking out of his.’
- ‘Sprinkle them generously with salt, and a little more thyme if you wish, then serve with halves of lemon and finger bowls and napkins.’
- ‘Serve with spoons for the broth, and finger bowls for the mussels.’
- ‘This was one to be attacked by hand, the only problem being a lack of a finger bowl at the end.’
- ‘Give finger bowls to your guests and lots of good French bread to mop up the wonderful juices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.