One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small bowl containing water for rinsing the fingers during or after a meal.
dish, basin, pan, pot, crock, crucible, mortarView synonyms
- ‘This was an amazing ‘bouillabaisse’ soup which was served with a dish for seafood shells and a finger bowl.’
- ‘Eat it and you'll be like that man who drank his finger bowl in front of Queen Victoria.’
- ‘In spite of my most skilful wielding of cutlery, I had to have recourse to the finger bowl that had been brought along with the main course.’
- ‘He grabbed a cup of hot water from a tray and a pinch of green dust from a small finger bowl.’
- ‘They can also be added to the bath, used as a light cologne or body spray, and even used in finger bowls for elegant, romantic dinners.’
- ‘Serve with lemon and black pepper and fresh bread and a finger bowl!’
- ‘This was one to be attacked by hand, the only problem being a lack of a finger bowl at the end.’
- ‘The Offertory Gifts included a chalice, ciboria, jug and finger bowl, a credence set, a copy of the commemorative book and a specially commissioned commemorative plate, one of which was presented to each employee present.’
- ‘Sprinkle them generously with salt, and a little more thyme if you wish, then serve with halves of lemon and finger bowls and napkins.’
- ‘One of Sally's favorite stories, perhaps apocryphal, concerns a dinner guest who had never seen a finger bowl before and so started drinking out of his.’
- ‘Give finger bowls to your guests and lots of good French bread to mop up the wonderful juices.’
- ‘Dad and I went to this fancy restaurant where they used those little finger bowls.’
- ‘Guests dipped into their finger bowls and they were set to the side.’
- ‘However, all these semantics were soon forgotten when the largest steamer of mussels arrived, complete with another bowl for the shells and a finger bowl (for my greasy fingers from the butter pat).’
- ‘Serve with spoons for the broth, and finger bowls for the mussels.’
- ‘As a child, I fashioned ersatz cockpit headsets out of plastic finger bowls and wire hangers; I secretly spoke into my Texas Instruments digital wristwatch while playing in my backyard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.