One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The composition of an object, substance, or energy phenomenon as viewed on a small scale and in considerable detail.
- ‘These definitions are that a fractal structure has a fine structure, is too irregular to be precisely described with Euclidean geometry, exhibits self-similarity.’
- ‘With the very rapid advances in equipment, and particularly in computer technology, our knowledge of the details of the fine structure and workings of the Earth's interior has improved greatly since the 1980s.’
- ‘The term microstructure is used to characterize the fine structure of the skeletal material of which various skeletal macrostructures are constructed.’
- ‘It has been suggested that fractals share the following features: fine structure, i.e. detail at arbitrarily small scales; great irregularity; and self similarity i.e. similar forms are repeated at various scales.’
- ‘Our goal was to make indentation testing of soft biological tissues both more reproducible and also capable of evaluating the effects of changes in fine structure on tissue stiffness - both mean values and site-to-site variability.’
- ‘Such tools allow the biologist to sharply image fine structure, but only from a narrow depth of field in each image.’
- ‘The woman leaned further forward onto the dressing table, examining her young features and the fine structure of bones beneath her skin.’
- ‘Further advances in theory, technique, and instrumentation have led to the development of electron microscopes that are used to examine the fine structure of biological samples.’
- ‘This can be exemplified by contributions made using electron microscopy to study fine structure of plant cells responding to stress from oxygen shortage.’
- 1.1Physics The presence of groups of closely spaced lines in spectra corresponding to slightly different energy levels.
- ‘A tailored diffuser that spreads the flux over a small range of angles can remove fine structure.’
- ‘No fine structure is seen along the circumference of reflections.’
- ‘This fine structure is clearly manifested in the PE spectra.’
- ‘It is in the fine structure of the microwave sky that cosmologists hope to find the answers to many outstanding questions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.