One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or institution that provides monetary support for someone or something.‘the financial backers of the venture’
- ‘The major financial backers of the foundation are making it possible to fill any critical hole we have in the development team with full-time dedicated help.’
- ‘None of the financial backers would meet with them and they seemed to be running out of ideas.’
- ‘He called his financial backers to let them know that the company now faced a serious competitive threat.’
- ‘When the cell technologist founded the company in 1999, her friends and family served as her primary financial backers.’
- ‘The film industry is rife with tales of financial backers, not the director, having final say about what appears on screen.’
- ‘In the wake of failing dot-coms, the availability of financial backers for such ventures has declined.’
- ‘The museum's main financial backers must be dependable.’
- ‘Start-ups are being bullied by their financial backers into early mergers and buy-outs.’
- ‘The officials were under obligation to financial backers who helped them obtain their auctioned offices and supplied goods to them.’
- ‘The project has been in development for 18 months, providing plenty of time for cold feet from financial backers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.