Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Complete or agree on a finished and definitive version of.‘efforts intensified to finalize plans for post-war reconstruction’
conclude, complete, bring to a conclusion, clinch, settle, establish, work out, resolve, decide, secure, tie up, wrap up, put the finishing touches to, set the seal on, seal, confirmnegotiate, broker, reach agreement on, reach an agreement on, agree on, come to terms on, reach terms on, shake hands onsew up, wind up, polish off, put the icing on the cake, thrash out, hammer outView synonyms
- ‘As you finalize these arrangements, you should also begin to practice your presentation.’
- ‘In it, the government said it would finalize a plan to cope with the uncooperative debtors by the end of next March.’
- ‘New York and Texas finalized the terms of a trade Sunday, and the players' association gave its approval.’
- ‘Prices are not yet finalised, but should be comparable to existing cars and will be announced next month.’
- ‘An hour later, we finished finalizing Maria's plans.’
- ‘In the meantime, the city council hasn't yet finalised what it's going to do and we're still in conversation.’
- ‘The initial assessments were revised and finalized after discussion between the coders.’
- ‘In answer to these questions, the Board of Directors recently finalized new priorities.’
- ‘The completion of the work on the surrounds at the entrance gates was also discussed and finalised.’
- ‘The Department of Education said yesterday the areas where the cuts will be made were not yet finalised.’
- ‘As far as repairing a flat on the road, we haven't yet finalized how riders will be able to achieve this.’
- ‘As next Monday's opening ceremony approaches, organizers have intensified efforts to finalize their preparation for the grand event.’
- ‘The amount raised is not yet finalised but will appear in this column in the weeks ahead.’
- ‘Chapter 10 finalizes the discussion of methods and tools repeatedly mentioned in earlier chapters.’
- ‘But the list of items opened is not finalized yet.’
- ‘There is still another week of negotiation to finalize the plan of action that is to be agreed upon in Johannesburg.’
- ‘The town is currently finalizing a development agreement.’
- ‘The new regulations managing phosphorus runoff from manure applications are not yet finalized.’
- ‘It is understood that agreement has been reached in principle, and that only terms remain to be finalised.’
- ‘Appointments are confirmed in writing and are finalized in July.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.