One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A competitor or team in the final or finals of a competition.
- ‘She will almost certainly make England's team for Manchester 2002 and is a potential finalist.’
- ‘He is a finalist for the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.’
- ‘A Rhodes Scholarship finalist, she will pursue a Ph.D. in Near Eastern studies at Berkeley.’
- ‘Another look at the past winners and finalists of the Champions League shows that the system does indeed seem to work.’
- ‘First questions came from former Olympic champion and defeated finalist - US swimmer Janet Evans.’
- ‘Thankfully things got better as the worst of the finalists were gradually sent packing.’
- ‘The three will include both finalists and the winner of the qualifying final.’
- ‘The six finalists are design graduates and are creating gardens based on design concepts for city gardens.’
- ‘More and more, this team looks capable of becoming a conference finalist.’
- ‘The 40 finalists were divided into teams and they were given various challenges.’
- ‘He takes man and dog to a local show where, to his delight, they win the breed class and are finalists in Best In Show.’
- ‘Wake Forest, the other finalist in the players' recruitment, followed the same approach.’
- ‘A picture framer who set up his own business in Broadway has been named a finalist in a national competition for the third year running.’
- ‘It was far from the preserve of the independently educated - and two finalists go to state schools.’
- ‘None of which is meant to diminish the achievements of the two finalists.’
- ‘Mr Shepherd has been a Student of the Year finalist for the past three years,’
- ‘Each of the finalists in the dance competition won a pair of cinema tickets and a goody bag.’
- ‘Nominations were made by their teachers and the finalists will be judged by the trustees of the fund.’
- ‘In a Canadian university, a male and a female candidate were finalists for a tenurable position in philosophy.’
- ‘The other finalists, should England make it to the World Cup will be either Spain or Germany.’
2A student taking finals.
undergraduate, postgraduate, scholar, tuteeView synonyms
- ‘Law students were issued a warning last week after a finalist's computer work was deleted in the Bodleian Law Library.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.