One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A liquid which has passed through a filter.
- ‘During the gravity filtration the filtrate passes through the filter medium under the combined forces of gravity and capillary attraction between the liquid and the funnel stem.’
- ‘After passage through glass fiber filter paper, the filtrate was concentrated using a rotary vacuum evaporator.’
- ‘In the majority of the studies we reviewed, the material administered to the animal was the dried filtrate of a water extract that had been prepared from dried leaves.’
- ‘Then a clear filtrate with no cells or bacteria was used to inoculate another chicken, which would then develop a tumor.’
- ‘Mixtures of solution and resin were filtered through a 0.45 m filter and filtrates freeze-dried.’
Filter.‘the remaining alkali is filtrated’
ooze, trickle, exude, drip, dribble, flow, issue, discharge, excrete, escape, leak, drain, bleed, sweat, well, leach, filter, percolate, permeate, soakView synonyms
- ‘Shrugging, the teen walked over to the window above the sink: some light had managed to filtrate between the cobwebs and the dust.’
- ‘So he sighed and let the memories overwhelm him, talking as he went, not filtrating what he said.’
- ‘It is more normally used to filtrate drinking water and in small amounts is not harmful.’
- ‘It bubbles up from a great depth and is naturally filtrated, then bottled and hermetically sealed in 19-litre containers.’
- ‘Sperm were filtrated and stained on the filter.’
Early 17th century: from modern Latin filtrat- ‘filtered’, from the verb filtrare, from medieval Latin filtrum (see filter).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.