One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Capable of passing through a filter.
2Capable of being separated out by a filter.‘filterable solids’
- ‘The SLAP will be filterable and scalable to support the operational needs within a theater at local nodes while also allowing for integration of a more global view at higher levels of command.’
- ‘These packets are however filterable because they are illegal.’
- ‘Scrapie is a chronic disease of sheep which is transmitted by a filterable particle that is resistant to heat and formalin fixation.’
- ‘In 1917, d' Herelle had discovered a self-propagating filterable substance capable of dissolving dysentery bacilli, later identified as bacteriophage.’
- ‘Hundreds of WinXP machines launching a DDoS attack using forged, possibly rapidly varying, IP addresses will not be filterable by the targeted victim's ISP, and will without doubt succeed in swamping his/her link.’
- ‘They are filterable, to some extent isolable, can be handled in test-tubes, and their properties, as shown by their effects on the bacteria, can then be studied after treatment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.