One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Capable of passing through a filter.
2Capable of being separated out by a filter.‘filterable solids’
- ‘They are filterable, to some extent isolable, can be handled in test-tubes, and their properties, as shown by their effects on the bacteria, can then be studied after treatment.’
- ‘Hundreds of WinXP machines launching a DDoS attack using forged, possibly rapidly varying, IP addresses will not be filterable by the targeted victim's ISP, and will without doubt succeed in swamping his/her link.’
- ‘In 1917, d' Herelle had discovered a self-propagating filterable substance capable of dissolving dysentery bacilli, later identified as bacteriophage.’
- ‘Scrapie is a chronic disease of sheep which is transmitted by a filterable particle that is resistant to heat and formalin fixation.’
- ‘These packets are however filterable because they are illegal.’
- ‘The SLAP will be filterable and scalable to support the operational needs within a theater at local nodes while also allowing for integration of a more global view at higher levels of command.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.