Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of porous paper for filtering liquids, used especially in chemical processes and coffee-making.
- ‘At the beginning of each month the lid was removed and the filter paper was wetted with de-ionized water to simulate the occasional showers that may occur during the dry season.’
- ‘What you need is water, and paper - filter paper, like coffee filters, with a high fiber content, very strong and absorbent.’
- ‘After 24 hours, there were many particles collected on the filter paper.’
- ‘Within the first 2 or 3 days of life, your baby's heel will be pricked and a small sample of her blood will then be applied to a filter paper.’
- ‘Although the filter paper was recognized as non-canopy, much of the mounting was not correctly identified by the software.’
- ‘Second-generation seeds were placed on a wet filter paper and cold-treated for 1 week at 5°C in a refrigerator.’
- ‘Ten soybean seeds were placed on the filter paper of each dish.’
- ‘The filter paper supporting the cells was air-dried until excess water from the medium had evaporated.’
- ‘Leave to strain, undisturbed, through a funnel lined with dampened muslin, or a coffee filter paper, for two or three hours.’
- ‘Excess liquid was removed by blotting onto a filter paper at the periphery of the grid.’
- ‘The presence of growth is indicated by a halo surrounding the filter paper.’
- ‘But they say, just look at the way they fold the filter paper, that shows they are experienced chemists.’
- ‘Instead, it's seeping over the top of the filter paper, and covering Brad's work surface and kitchen floor with thick soggy granules.’
- ‘The rough surface of the filter paper, located above the sample, substantially increases the surface area for evaporation.’
- ‘The DNA sample from the patient is labeled and amplified by PCR and then added to the filter paper.’
- ‘There researchers show us how they take the frozen samples out of the freezer and cut up the filter paper.’
- ‘After extraction, the plant material was removed from the filter paper and re-dried.’
- ‘Moist filter paper resting on a wire mesh an inch and a half above the leaves was sprinkled with cucumber seeds.’
- ‘The circles on the filter paper should be filled almost to the black lines.’
- ‘Coffee filter paper is perfect for buffing mirrors as it doesn't leave any lint 5.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.