One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an aquatic animal) feeding by filtering out plankton or nutrients suspended in the water.
- ‘Fast moving currents concentrate plankton and other goodies for filter-feeding animals that fuel these entire ecosystems.’
- ‘The current can make diving difficult but also acts as a conveyor-belt, supplying all those filter-feeding creatures with food.’
- ‘Unlike filter-feeding ducks, which raise self-feeding chicks, lesser flamingos must feed their young for the first ten to twelve weeks of their lives.’
- ‘The other constraint we put on it was that they could do it only amongst filter-feeding fish.’
- ‘Positively associated with these differences are differences in growth rate and abundance of filter-feeding invertebrates (mussels, barnacles).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.