Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an aquatic animal) feeding by filtering out plankton or nutrients suspended in the water.
- ‘The current can make diving difficult but also acts as a conveyor-belt, supplying all those filter-feeding creatures with food.’
- ‘Positively associated with these differences are differences in growth rate and abundance of filter-feeding invertebrates (mussels, barnacles).’
- ‘Unlike filter-feeding ducks, which raise self-feeding chicks, lesser flamingos must feed their young for the first ten to twelve weeks of their lives.’
- ‘The other constraint we put on it was that they could do it only amongst filter-feeding fish.’
- ‘Fast moving currents concentrate plankton and other goodies for filter-feeding animals that fuel these entire ecosystems.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.