One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small fern of damp shady places, with wiry creeping stems and delicate forked fronds which are only one cell thick. They occur chiefly in tropical and subtropical regions.
- ‘Contrastingly, there occur shade and moisture dependent species, such as members of the filmy fern family, found mostly by the riverbank.’
- ‘Ferns vary in height from the diminutive filmy fern of less than an inch to the vast tree ferns of the tropics, reaching a height of sixty feet or more.’
- ‘Because of this high level of humidity, thick, lush mosses also thrive in the filmy fern house.’
- ‘Everything about it is supremely delicate, from the filmy fern leaves to the masses of mauve bell flowers with dangling pale gold anthers that hover over the garden like a pale mist in August.’
- ‘There are filmy ferns, and more jagged ferns, ferns which look like moss, and the stumpy Mexican tree fern which never grows very tall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.