One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small fern of damp shady places, with wiry creeping stems and delicate forked fronds which are only one cell thick. They occur chiefly in tropical and subtropical regions.
Family Hymenophyllaceae: Hymenophyllum and other genera
- ‘Everything about it is supremely delicate, from the filmy fern leaves to the masses of mauve bell flowers with dangling pale gold anthers that hover over the garden like a pale mist in August.’
- ‘Because of this high level of humidity, thick, lush mosses also thrive in the filmy fern house.’
- ‘There are filmy ferns, and more jagged ferns, ferns which look like moss, and the stumpy Mexican tree fern which never grows very tall.’
- ‘Contrastingly, there occur shade and moisture dependent species, such as members of the filmy fern family, found mostly by the riverbank.’
- ‘Ferns vary in height from the diminutive filmy fern of less than an inch to the vast tree ferns of the tropics, reaching a height of sixty feet or more.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.