One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supplementary light used in photography or filming that does not change the character of the main light and is used chiefly to lighten shadows.
- ‘Shots of Nicole were backed with masses of flowers, the cutaways of O'Brien were dramatically lit with what appeared to be coloured gels on the fill light.’
- ‘This is the fill light and helps soften the shadows.’
- ‘I prefer no reflectors and no fill lights, because there's less to remind her she's working in front of a machine.’
- ‘A bit more fill light might have calmed down the background more.’
- ‘If you have portable lights, you can dramatically improve your shots using the three-point lighting technique based around a key light, a fill light and a backlight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.