Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device which controls access to separately stored files, as part of a multi-user system.
- ‘A video server is the multimedia equivalent of a data file server.’
- ‘Though I wouldn't use it for an enterprise level database or file server, it should be fine for a home file server.’
- ‘So I wrote a proposal and got permission to procure a box to act as a file server, fax server, internal web server, e-mail server and Internet gateway.’
- ‘Where is the latest version of that document you were looking for - on the file server, on your laptop, on the PC at home?’
- ‘Allocation of data is controlled by the local file system on the file server.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.