Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device which controls access to separately stored files, as part of a multi-user system.
- ‘Allocation of data is controlled by the local file system on the file server.’
- ‘So I wrote a proposal and got permission to procure a box to act as a file server, fax server, internal web server, e-mail server and Internet gateway.’
- ‘A video server is the multimedia equivalent of a data file server.’
- ‘Though I wouldn't use it for an enterprise level database or file server, it should be fine for a home file server.’
- ‘Where is the latest version of that document you were looking for - on the file server, on your laptop, on the PC at home?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.