One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small card on which information is recorded, typically stored alphabetically with others in a card index.‘Nabokov used a system of file cards to create his plot structures’
- ‘Write down how to do these tasks on file cards and distribute them to everyone.’
- ‘In the library's early decades, people could only leaf through drawers of file cards.’
- ‘Each file card created by the researchers was entered into a customized Microsoft Access database.’
- ‘Throughout his life, Hoffer would also copy onto file cards quotations from whatever he was reading.’
- ‘His whole life was a series of projects, documented in drawings, notebooks, paintings and file cards.’
- ‘A file card system took up an entire wall.’
- ‘The essential features of each trial were reduced to one, and sometimes several, three by five file cards.’
- ‘For a while I also kept a "Sunset Box" full of descriptions of each sunset on a file card.’
- ‘Her file card even lists her present status as missing, which is pretty odd.’
- ‘You can use file cards to write down any important parts of your talk that you think you'd forget otherwise, such as long quotes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.