One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small card on which information is recorded, typically stored alphabetically with others in a card index.‘Nabokov used a system of file cards to create his plot structures’
- ‘The essential features of each trial were reduced to one, and sometimes several, three by five file cards.’
- ‘A file card system took up an entire wall.’
- ‘Her file card even lists her present status as missing, which is pretty odd.’
- ‘Write down how to do these tasks on file cards and distribute them to everyone.’
- ‘Each file card created by the researchers was entered into a customized Microsoft Access database.’
- ‘Throughout his life, Hoffer would also copy onto file cards quotations from whatever he was reading.’
- ‘His whole life was a series of projects, documented in drawings, notebooks, paintings and file cards.’
- ‘For a while I also kept a "Sunset Box" full of descriptions of each sunset on a file card.’
- ‘You can use file cards to write down any important parts of your talk that you think you'd forget otherwise, such as long quotes.’
- ‘In the library's early decades, people could only leaf through drawers of file cards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.