Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A tropical disease caused by the presence of filarial worms, especially in the lymph vessels where heavy infestation can result in elephantiasis.
- ‘Malaria, filariasis, and dengue fever are the three major causes of morbidity and mortality in developing countries.’
- ‘Lack of awareness regarding all vector-borne diseases like filariasis is the major bottleneck in the promotion of such schemes.’
- ‘In 2002, 32 countries used mass drug administration to stop transmission of lymphatic filariasis.’
- ‘At a time when diseases spread by mosquitoes such as dengue fever and filariasis are on the increase, the experts' warning is alarming.’
- ‘Lymphatic filariasis was classified into acute or chronic disease.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.