One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Solve or discover the cause of a problem.‘he was trying to figure out why the camera wasn't working’
work out, make out, fathom, reason, puzzle out, decipher, solve, ascertain, make sense of, think out, think through, get to the bottom of, find an answer to, find an solution to, unravel, untangleView synonyms
- ‘First the basic framework needs to be worked out then the name can be figured out, after all what is a name without something to go with it?’
- ‘Jade looked up to her mommy with a warm smile her small eyes with one of those curious looks they got when she had either solved a problem or had figured something out.’
- ‘Most jurors like to believe that they can really figure this whole puzzle out a little better than the lawyers can.’
- ‘And we will have figured it out for no other reason than to know.’
- ‘I recently saw this book again at the bookstore, and memories of the event came rushing back to me, even though right now I have absolutely no idea what the book is about or the significance of figuring it out.’
- ‘Now, assuming I can still sleep because I'm thinking about that, when I wake up it will be figured out.’
- ‘I have done all this for her, yes, but mostly for me, because by writing about how hard a time I've had figuring this whole thing out I've found a bigger piece of who I am, and I like that piece.’
- ‘It's a personality quirk, I know, but I enjoy taking something and making it whole and figuring things out.’
- ‘Finally, I would say, please understand that I am still figuring this thing out, just like everybody else.’
- ‘As soon as you start pursuing the process of figuring each problem out, and connecting it with other problems, you have started down the road to leftism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.