One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reach an understanding of a person's actions, motives, or personality.
find out, discover, come to know, get to know, work out, make out, fathom, fathom out, become aware of, learn, ferret out, dig out, dig up, establish, fix, determine, settle, decide, verify, make certain of, confirm, deduce, divine, intuit, diagnose, discern, perceive, see, realize, appreciate, identify, pin down, recognize, register, understand, grasp, take in, comprehendView synonyms
- ‘I imagine that strangers have even a harder time figuring him out.’
- ‘I've spent a lot of time over the past few months trying to figure you out.’
- ‘It seems we need to figure someone out before we strike up a conversation.’
- ‘When she figures him out, she will understand herself.’
- ‘But if someone's trying to figure you out, that is hard.’
- ‘‘I really can't figure you out,’ I say to him on one of my rare visits back into that dark office.’
- ‘But, if you think I am for such an agreement, you haven't figured me out yet.’
- ‘As for the other guy - you'll figure him out soon enough.’
- ‘Basically, they're trying to figure you out and see if you run like prey or stand your ground.’
- ‘We told her that she might not want to talk to us because she might go crazy trying to figure us out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.