One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A numerical expression taken as representing the performance or efficiency of a given device, material, or procedure.
- ‘The key figures of merit of these PC structures are the narrowness of the peak in the emission spectrum and the energy density of the emission.’
- ‘The economic figure of merit for a solar cell is dollars per peak Watt (US $/ Wp).’
- ‘Of course, there are many other possible classification schemes that could employ increasing levels of specificity by combining attributes or by deriving new figures of merit.’
- ‘The main figure of merit is sustained performance per unit cost.’
- ‘In other words, they want a single figure of merit for white light instead of one each for red, green, and blue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.