One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Defend oneself against an attack by someone or something.‘Candice fought her assailant off’figurative ‘well-fed people are better able to fight off infectious disease’
repel, repulse, beat off, stave off, ward off, hold off, fend off, hold at bay, keep at bay, drive away, drive back, force back, beat back, push back, resistView synonyms
- ‘I then thought it was pointless trying to fight him off.’
- ‘A crowd watched High Chaparral, ridden by Murtagh, fight off a challenge from his stablemate in the 223rd running of the race.’
- ‘Some scientist fear a buildup of such materials would eventually sabotage a person's ability to fight off infection.’
- ‘I was too dazed to fight her off.’
- ‘Sleep helps bolster your immune system so that you can fight off viruses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.