One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A burning wooden cross carried as a symbol by the Ku Klux Klan.
- ‘He claimed that a Liberal MP, famous for citing non-existent fiery crosses and phantom white racists, approached and urged him to join the party.’
- ‘I'd like to see all our outdoor Church services end with a fiery cross - it's a wonderful image.’
- 1.1historical A wooden cross, charred and dipped in blood, used among Scottish clans to summon men to battle.
- ‘Scotland exported the Ku Klux Klan and the fiery cross to the New World.’
- ‘He sent out a terrible signal - a fiery cross summoning his Clan Alpine to war.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.