One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Extremely cruel or unpleasant.‘fiendish methods of torture’
wicked, cruel, vicious, evil, nefarious, unspeakableView synonyms
- ‘Human beings over the ages have delighted in the most horrific and fiendish methods of inflicting extreme suffering, pain and mutilation.’
- ‘I seem to be stuck halfway between fiendish laughter and pathetic sobbing.’
- 1.1informal Extremely awkward or complex.‘a fiendish problem’
difficult, complex, complicated, intricate, involved, knotty, thorny, ticklish, abstruse, impenetrable, unfathomableView synonyms
- ‘She triumphed over a field of men and women of all ages with a winning time of 13 minutes 48 seconds for a super fiendish puzzle.’
- ‘The superlatively analytical Inspector Hemingway reveals his unnerving talent for solving a fiendish problem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.