Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The ball is running away from the chasing point fieldsman; can he catch it?’
- ‘I was watching the match in a pub without sound, and I had forgotten about it, so it was not until I got home that I realised that Langer had taken a hat trick, and that was why the West Indian fieldsmen all looked so pleased.’
- ‘The last two batsmen Jesrel Prospere and Vaughn Polius shared five overs, but were not poised to increase the score as the Vincentians bowled tight and accurate without allowing them to hit past the encroaching fieldsmen.’
- ‘The batsmen then keep hitting it down the throats of the ready set fieldsmen.’
- ‘Miss-hits all going straight to the fieldsmen.’
- ‘A batsman tries to stop the fieldsman from getting the ball by getting in his way.’
- ‘I'd see one of their fieldsmen chase a ball and think he might be a possibility.’
- ‘Indian slip fieldsmen, however, are another matter; their chastisement is, on the whole, richly deserved.’
- ‘If anything, he should have directed his ire at the umpires, who are required to regulate the comings and goings of fieldsmen.’
- ‘(The fieldsman caught the ball, but then stepped over the boundary rope and conceded a six).’
- ‘I can't describe it explicitly without pictures, but suffice it to say that there are definite positions for fieldsmen in cricket.’
- ‘To top it off, Boof's gently lobbed cue-end snick, instead of making a fieldsman work, went straight to Parti Boy Patel who was able to drag in what was for him, an absolute blinder.’
- ‘Playing for Sri Lanka, Muralitharan must also defend smaller totals, strive more often in losing causes, and be supported by less adept fieldsmen.’
- ‘Opposing slips fieldsman, Ruben Hart, 6, of Mt Barker and wicketkeeper Rikki Williams, 6, were ready for any chances bobbing up at Pages Beach yesterday.’
- ‘The milling fieldsmen were not quite so sure about the decision.’
2An agent or salesman working for a company.
- ‘Mr Taylforth, who is fieldsman for the scheme, will then go and select a lamb from the member farms to fulfil the order.’
- ‘At the new market complex at Wincot Lands, he forms part of a sales team that includes fieldsmen Andrew and Philip Cook and is looking forward to providing a first-class service to clients.’
- ‘Richard Gardiner has become a fieldsman with responsibility for outside canvassing, giving advice to farmers on the best ways of placing their stock and generally promoting the company.’
- ‘Reserve placing in the native breeds went to Mule Wether lamb entries from Andrew Fisher of Pateley Bridge, a fieldsman for Craven Cattle Marts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.