One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I can't describe it explicitly without pictures, but suffice it to say that there are definite positions for fieldsmen in cricket.’
- ‘The milling fieldsmen were not quite so sure about the decision.’
- ‘The batsmen then keep hitting it down the throats of the ready set fieldsmen.’
- ‘The ball is running away from the chasing point fieldsman; can he catch it?’
- ‘A batsman tries to stop the fieldsman from getting the ball by getting in his way.’
- ‘Indian slip fieldsmen, however, are another matter; their chastisement is, on the whole, richly deserved.’
- ‘The last two batsmen Jesrel Prospere and Vaughn Polius shared five overs, but were not poised to increase the score as the Vincentians bowled tight and accurate without allowing them to hit past the encroaching fieldsmen.’
- ‘I was watching the match in a pub without sound, and I had forgotten about it, so it was not until I got home that I realised that Langer had taken a hat trick, and that was why the West Indian fieldsmen all looked so pleased.’
- ‘(The fieldsman caught the ball, but then stepped over the boundary rope and conceded a six).’
- ‘If anything, he should have directed his ire at the umpires, who are required to regulate the comings and goings of fieldsmen.’
- ‘Playing for Sri Lanka, Muralitharan must also defend smaller totals, strive more often in losing causes, and be supported by less adept fieldsmen.’
- ‘Miss-hits all going straight to the fieldsmen.’
- ‘Opposing slips fieldsman, Ruben Hart, 6, of Mt Barker and wicketkeeper Rikki Williams, 6, were ready for any chances bobbing up at Pages Beach yesterday.’
- ‘I'd see one of their fieldsmen chase a ball and think he might be a possibility.’
- ‘To top it off, Boof's gently lobbed cue-end snick, instead of making a fieldsman work, went straight to Parti Boy Patel who was able to drag in what was for him, an absolute blinder.’
2An agent or salesman working for a company.
- ‘Mr Taylforth, who is fieldsman for the scheme, will then go and select a lamb from the member farms to fulfil the order.’
- ‘Reserve placing in the native breeds went to Mule Wether lamb entries from Andrew Fisher of Pateley Bridge, a fieldsman for Craven Cattle Marts.’
- ‘At the new market complex at Wincot Lands, he forms part of a sales team that includes fieldsmen Andrew and Philip Cook and is looking forward to providing a first-class service to clients.’
- ‘Richard Gardiner has become a fieldsman with responsibility for outside canvassing, giving advice to farmers on the best ways of placing their stock and generally promoting the company.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.