Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vole with a dark shaggy coat and short tail, found abundantly in the grasslands of northern Eurasia.Also called short-tailed vole
- ‘Of course, you don't find many field voles wielding SLR cameras.’
- ‘This habitat attracts many small mammals, including the field vole, the barn owl's favorite prey.’
- ‘The disappearance of the short tailed field voles, normally so hugely plentiful, had left a massive hole in his food supply.’
- ‘We have a well-stocked river and even field voles.’
- ‘This owl has a preference for field voles, as the eagle owl has for rabbits.’
- ‘For X chromosome sequences, nucleotide diversity was in the range of 1.6 x 10-4 to 8.0 x 10-4 (field vole).’
- ‘To all intents and purposes he seemed asleep but his acute hearing would be attuned for the rustling of a field vole moving through the grass.’
- ‘The diet includes small birds, but the main food consists of short-tailed field voles.’
- ‘British Waterways said a number of habitat piles were created from branches and larger logs and have been left for birds and small mammals, such as thrushes, blackbirds, finches, bats and field voles.’
- ‘At the time of laying, Ural Owls mainly feed on field voles and bank voles.’
- ‘Other animals that may carry and transmit the disease include beavers, muskrats, water and field voles, water and wood rats, squirrels, and lemmings.’
- ‘Pokki finds a similar effect in a field vole metapopulation inhabiting an archipelago.’
- ‘Biologists estimate that two billion field voles were born in Britain last year.’
- ‘Lambin et al. gave evidence of traveling waves during 3-4 - yr population cycles of field voles in north Britain.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.