One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A field test.
- ‘According to the company, limited field trials were carried out in five north Indian States over four years between 1997-98 and 2001-02.’
- ‘He estimates that since the arm was developed he has only been able to use it about 40% of the time, because it is either breaking down, needed for field trials or requiring modification.’
- ‘This paper summarizes the vehicle maneuvering and stability performance observed in field trials and compares the results to predicted performance using theoretical and empirical techniques.’
- ‘Ripening in 115 days, the new crop had yielded 3,025 kilos per hectare in field trials, and was ideal for dry districts such as Ramanathapuram, Sivagangai, Virudhunagar and Tirunelveli.’
- ‘A case at the Supreme Court challenging 1998 field trials is still ongoing after the company was found to have misled farmers into growing Bt cotton seed without approval or information.’
- ‘No more time must be lost in developing every available method of tackling this disease and field trials on badgers should start immediately.’
- ‘The company announced the decision was made because of uncertainties about the climate and water availability in the district, together with disappointing field trials.’
- ‘Under legislation, the locations of field trials is to be public, except where the company shows that the location should be kept secret.’
- ‘What field trials represent is an economic reality that our Government and governments across Europe are being bullied by the giant corporations.’
- ‘Permits have been granted for field trials and experiments with wheat, cotton, maize, soybeans, apple, canola, potatoes, sugar cane, eucalyptus trees, grapes, and a host of organisms.’
- ‘Slrtc was one of the centres where the World Health Organisation carried out field trials of the Multi Drug Therapy in the early 1980s.’
- ‘Apparently the field trials had a 100% success rate.’
- ‘The announcement leaves him exposed as opposition from fellow Liberal Democrats, whose conference voted to ban continuing GM field trials, had already put him under political pressure.’
- ‘The problem is, the Greenies point out, that there shouldn't really be any field trials at all until full and stringent regulations are in place, otherwise it will be like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.’
- ‘In particular, the role of hydroponic experiments that provide flexible, rapid assays for the selection of genotypes with contrasting traits for subsequent testing in field trials are examined.’
- ‘Laboratory research has given only indicative results as to the benefits of these changes, and field trials are recommended before the proposal is accepted.’
- ‘Moreover, if the field trials are given an opportunity to progress unmolested, Britons will find that they show GM crops to have very real environmental benefits, not just hypothetical risks.’
- ‘In 1998, companies such as Novartis, Pioneer and Monsanto applied for granting approval for confined field trials of transgenic maize.’
- ‘Since 1991, more than 300 field trials of such crops have taken place in the open environment, most over the past three years.’
- ‘The science community has lobbied hard against a full moratorium on field trials, as has the Dairy Board which has set aside $150 million for an extensive programme of genetic engineering research.’
2A competition for gun dogs to test their levels of skill and training in retrieving or pointing.
- ‘In 1933 he invited the organizers of a local field trial tournament in Fort Davis in neighboring Macon County to hold their next competition at Sedgefields.’
- ‘With bird dogs and field trials so much a part of its local history and culture, the city of Union Springs saw an opportunity to recognize its hometown stars.’
- ‘No longer merely competitions to determine bird dog bragging rights, the field trials of Bullock County grew into major social events where the best of southern hospitality and home-style cooking were on display.’
- ‘In the United States, salukis are successful competitors in the show ring, and agility and field trials.’
- ‘Farrior competed in his first field trial in 1919 when he was only seven years old.’
- ‘And the only way to know which ones were truly great was to arrange for a competition among them-the field trial.’
- ‘She was keenly interested in horses and dogs, and frequently attended events and field trials.’
- ‘The owner complained Digger had no energy and lacked the endurance to complete a field trial competition without becoming exhausted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.