One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The highest rank of officer in the British army.
- ‘The former field marshal, once the highest-ranking officer in the Confederate High Command, had retired from the service when he was named interim Chancellor.’
- ‘At the age of 31 a field marshal in the Chinese army while still a major in the British one, he went on to become the Governor General of the Sudan, where he was eventually killed.’
- ‘Dr. Mott should know that this would be a promotion for the journalist, something like from a sergeant to a field marshal!’
- ‘He said there were field marshals and generals at the top, who organised and funded the importations of large quantities of cigarettes and truck drivers.’
- ‘The apex of Alexander's military career was the capture of Rome on 4 June 1944, for which he received his field marshal's baton.’
- ‘The Russian tsarist army had field marshals including Suvorov, but the rank, like all the old military ranks, was abolished in 1917.’
- ‘He is appealing to Blair to give the Commons a vote on going to war, and points to strong opposition across the spectrum of British life, from field marshals to church leaders.’
- ‘Dressed as a field marshal, the rank to which Catherine II had promoted him in 1773, he wears the Star of the Order of Saint Andrew.’
- ‘Neither field marshal nor platoon leader should be point man.’
- ‘Over the years, field marshals, generals, prime ministers and archbishops have been made honorary freemen of the city, although Winston Churchill did not take up the offer.’
- ‘Two German field marshals, Erwin Rommel and Gerd yon Rundstedt, command Blumenson's respect.’
- ‘Even at a distance, the field marshal of Ple'ebus's army could be heard barking out orders at those in his command.’
- ‘In 1941 Smuts was made an honorary field marshal in the British Army, but asked that he still be known by his old rank of general.’
- ‘Within a few years, however, he regained his stature, eventually becoming a field marshal and commander in chief of the British army.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.