One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book for the identification of animals, birds, flowers, or other things in their natural environment.
- ‘Others are mainly local, state, and regional bird-finding guides, going back to O. S. Pettingill's pioneering eastern and western guides, and the various identification field guides.’
- ‘Though I have been a voracious, omnivorous reader all my life, I haven't been interested in books other than field guides lately.’
- ‘He is currently working on a history of field guides to birds and the development of birdwatching (now birding) in the United States.’
- ‘Most people identify plants and animals using a field guide, but anyone who has used one knows its limitations for identification and other information.’
- ‘I wandered through the airport shops and looked at several field guides to New Zealand birds.’
- ‘In my discussion of exceptional online bird field guides last week, I focused on the sites I turn to when I'm looking for information about a specific species.’
- ‘Don's death at age 79 marks an end to the first generation of American illustrators of bird field guides.’
- ‘Kenn Kaufman is the author of eight books on nature, including Kingbird Highway and field guides to North American birds, butterflies and mammals.’
- ‘Field observations were verified using a field guide of animal tracks.’
- ‘The Petersen's field guides to the birds of North America are classics.’
- ‘So, everyone, get out your field guides and study your birds!’
- ‘Wildlife officials identified the rare species of the turtle, Batagur baska, from photographs in an old field guide.’
- ‘Between 1894 and 1931, she authored twenty-seven books including field guides, natural history books, nature stories for children, and novels.’
- ‘A field guide to the birds of any geographic region shows quite clearly that ornaments of such colors are widespread.’
- ‘The following field guides may help with identification.’
- ‘So, with this brief primer in hand and some study of birds in your field guide, you'll be ready to take on all comers for these February feeder counts.’
- ‘The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather by David M. Ludlum can be used to identify clouds and other sky phenomena in much the way a field guide to birds is used.’
- ‘Written by a city boy from the Bronx who now lives in Chicago, this book is the ideal field guide to city trees for urban folks.’
- ‘Avoiding the dry descriptions typical of field guides, this book focuses instead on the history, folklore and practical uses of each species.’
- ‘For this hike, you will need field guides and animal track guides, magnifying glasses and binoculars, and pencil and paper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.