One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dark shade of grey, the regulation colour of the uniform of a German infantryman.
- ‘They were ushered into a room and stood before a table at which sat several officers in field grey.’
- ‘In a far corner of the field grey figures were taking turns to throw a heavy weight over a high bar and then leap out of the way as it crashed earthwards.’
- ‘He wore the field-grey uniform of the commissioned high rank of the army and the many decoration and stripes.’
- ‘Roswitha and Kitty sewed a field-gray uniform for Oskar, cutting it to his size.’
- ‘Walking down the road with a German officer of my own rank (hauptmann - captain) talking of our experiences, he in his field grey and I in my khaki, I challenged him on Belsen and Auschwitz.’
- ‘The SS developed its version of the army's field-grey combat uniform, with its own distinctive badges of rank on the collar, retaining black for full dress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.