Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A goal scored by a place kick, scoring three points.
- ‘Houston gave the unbeaten Bengals a game in Week Four, holding Cincinnati to one touchdown and three field goals.’
- ‘Touchdowns being worth more than field goals makes San Diego the highest-scoring team in the NFL.’
- ‘Holt's pigskin instincts helped him sniff out seven blocked field goals thus far into his college career.’
- ‘Suddenly, the pressure would have been on Denver to get into the end zone or settle for a field goal.’
- ‘First down, an eventual field goal, and the Colts escape with the win, and the division title.’
- ‘One of the surest kickers of all time, Andersen is the NFL's career leader in game-deciding field goals and in consecutive games with a score.’
- ‘In the NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers, we scored five field goals - we didn't even score a touchdown.’
- ‘If it scores a field goal, the other team can restart the procedure by matching it or win the game by scoring a touchdown.’
- ‘Russell Erxleben made nine field goals of 55 yards or longer during his Longhorns career.’
- ‘We controlled the second half, with Jim Breech kicking a field goal and Don Bass catching a touchdown pass.’
- ‘A lot of people don't know that your claim to fame prior to your two field goals in 2001 was catching Herschel Walker from behind on a kickoff return.’
- ‘On special teams, we have two return men who combined for six touchdowns and the most accurate field goal kicker in NFL history.’
- ‘The Saints faked a punt using a guy they'd barely met while the Jets faked a field goal using a linebacker as a running back.’
- ‘Groza won the 1950 NFL Championship Game for Cleveland with his last-second field goal.’
- ‘He already owns a pair of Super Bowl rings thanks to game-winning field goals.’
- ‘It was the second time in three years Brady set the stage for a field goal to win the Super Bowl.’
- ‘In his only season on the Packers in 1974, Hall-of-Famer Ted Hendricks blocked three field goals, three punts, and one extra point.’
- ‘It amounted to a four-point error, because the Cowboys settled for a field goal instead of a touchdown.’
- ‘They don't need to move the ball well and just score a field goal.’
- ‘The Jets put themselves in position to take leads or score points, then stall and either settle for field goals or come up empty.’
A goal scored while the clock is running and the ball is in play.
- ‘Brazil scored the next two field goals and closed to within five points, 44-39, with 7: 54 to play in the third period.’
- ‘The Lakers didn't even score a field goal for six of the final seven minutes, but it didn't matter cause they were always at the line.’
- ‘Rashard Lewis needs nine three-point field goals to pass Hersey Hawkins for fifth place on the Sonics all-time list.’
- ‘This season, O'Neal set career game highs in points, field goals, free throws, and assists (nine).’
- ‘You have 13 out of 16 field goals, maybe you should have gotten the ball more, maybe this was a game you were supposed to be in the high 40s?’
- ‘The Ravens could have pounded the ball twice and, if unsuccessful, still been able to stop the clock for a field goal.’
- ‘Total field goals made barely eclipsed total turnovers committed in the first half of this yawner.’
- ‘He ranks second in NBA Finals history in three-point field goals made trailing only Michael Jordan.’
- ‘So they were still scoring 2.3 more points per game on field goals.’
- ‘It allowed the Ravens to bleed a couple more minutes off the clock before kicking a field goal for a 16-3 lead.’
- ‘He's made 10 or more field goals in a game six times, has hit five three-pointers twice, and sunk double-digit free throws in four other matches.’
- ‘Chamberlain set a team and league record for most consecutive field goals, netting 35 straight over the course of four games in February 1967.’
- ‘Driving, dishing and pulling up for 3-pointers on fast breaks, he either scored or assisted on eight of Dallas' first nine field goals.’
- ‘The U.S. was credited with 39 assists on its 46 made field goals, and it owned the glass with a 40-24 rebounding advantage.’
- ‘Los Angeles established their season-high of 10 three-point field goals in their opening night game versus Seattle in Japan.’
- ‘Wilcox, who played 15 minutes in his first game action the previous night in Sacramento, logged 33 minutes off the bench and hit a career-high nine field goals.’
- ‘Do you think Setta needs to shorten his stride when approaching the ball on field goals?’
- ‘Looks like the player made 6 field goals worth two points each, no free throws, for a total of 12 points.’
- ‘A disturbing statistic for Popovich's club is that in the last two games Detroit has attempted 38 more field goals than San Antonio.’
- ‘He's still the Pistons' all-time leader leader in games played, points, steals, assists, field goals made and attempted, and free throws made and attempted.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.