Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Athletic sports other than races, such as throwing and jumping events.Compare with track events
- ‘Sligo athletes were scarce in the sprint and field events but Jennifer Norman produced a good performance to take fourth in the 100 metres.’
- ‘Acosta, who is Cuban, is in St Lucia coaching athletes in field events.’
- ‘Kildare will look to improve their medal haul next weekend when the athletics and field events begin.’
- ‘At the national level St Lucia does have three outstanding female athletes in field events.’
- ‘For many years, middle and long distance running has been the strong point of our sport with field events and sprinting being the poor relations.’
- ‘Performers in the sprints and field events also put up their fair share of impressive placements.’
- ‘Plus the golden-haired youngster won the Birmingham Exhibition Lions' Club Trophy as the outstanding female athlete in field events.’
- ‘In addition to this the students performed a number of field events including long jump, standing high jump and basketball throw.’
- ‘In the field events, the participants will vie for honours in long jump, triple jump, discus, shotput and javelin.’
- ‘They participated in a range of track events from 100m to 1500m along with field events from long jump to shot put.’
- ‘The competition, perhaps the most enduring of the field events so far, ended with both competitors warmly embracing.’
- ‘We are very strong here in Sligo on the track, but quite weak in some field events such as pole vault, high jump and hammer.’
- ‘For high jumper Hestrie Cloete, her medal was her country's first at Edmonton and Africa's only gold in a field event.’
- ‘The tracks were well made out and the track events and the field events were well organized.’
- ‘Not only was Sheelagh a runner but she successfully helped her club to win many league points by competing in and winning field events such as the shot putt and long jump competitions.’
- ‘On Thursday at 5 p.m. there's a session for track runners and later on field events athletes will be catered for.’
- ‘There will be track events and field events for each age group from 9 to 18 years.’
- ‘In the field events, the throws were, as for the men, one of the team's fortes.’
- ‘The athletic field events will take place in Kilcoyne Park on Sunday, May 29 at 4pm.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.