One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A close-fitting, knee-length military boot.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Cyndy Williams, boot buyer at Dover has bought back the popular Konig Dressage boot and added a new field boot from Tuff Rider with a clever slide zip, which hides the seams.’
- ‘A gifted rider is a horseman, whether they wear cowboy boots or English field boots.’
- ‘So on the face of it, Skee-Tex field boots are the perfect solution to these compromises.’
- ‘Mawson had, as I have, a pair of worn field boots.’
- ‘GI Joe's field boots were basically wartime versions of the rugged brogans familiar to farm labourers and other working stiffs who spent a lot of time on their feet.’
- ‘‘Welcome,’ says a woman neatly dressed in jods, field boots, and a light blue ratcatcher shirt.’
- ‘But I can't go there with my field boots, so the next step is to send even smarter robots instead.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.