One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book in which a surveyor writes down measurements and other technical notes taken in the field.
- ‘Soon now, very soon, it'll not be possible to count the types of flowers in bloom in twos and threes and those who want to name them accurately will have to drag out the field books and the plant recognition guides.’
- ‘I spent the rest of the day in my sleeping bags, reading a little and occasionally writing down notes in my field book.’
- ‘This comment was noted on a Post-it sticker, together with the date and field book reference.’
- ‘The Airman's Manual, Air Force Manual 10-100, is a field book containing practical information and color photographs describing a multitude of tasks for operations in austere locations.’
- ‘The Duncans logged over 80,000 miles together compiling these field books.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.