One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tree, shrub, or climber of a large genus that includes the figs and the rubber plant, growing in tropical and warm climates.
Genus Ficus, family Moraceae
- ‘The philodendrons, the ficus, and the Swedish ivy in their terra-cotta planters had wilted.’
- ‘Tropical bonsai, such as serissa, ficus, or bougainvillea can not adapt to freezing temperature and must be protected against frost.’
- ‘For true plant aficionados, grow a small tree, such as a ficus, on your deck.’
- ‘At least now my ficus is looking very handsome in his glazed ceramic pot, and with a bit of rearranging all my books are on shelves, somehow.’
- ‘Once there's new growth, prune to shape the ficus.’
- ‘I think it's safe for the ficus to be in your bedroom or any room in the house.’
- ‘And I don't mean a ficus in a pot by someone's swimming pool.’
- ‘The ficus we grow indoors are members of the fig family and capable of fruiting.’
- ‘Aloe vera, chrysanthemums, ferns, ficus, philodendron, pothos, and spider plants are considered particularly good air filters, drawing pollutants out of the air and replacing them with fresh oxygen.’
- ‘Your father can't see us beyond those firs, where the canal slows to a standstill into a pool of grace: that would be the end of illusion, of pretense, the fire-retardant curtains opening to reveal the patio and its ficus.’
- ‘Marnie crouches behind a potted ficus in the corner.’
- ‘Later Ivo found in a botanical encyclopedia that another name of the ficus was ‘the plant-killer’, because wild ficuses, growing around a tree, are able to take all of its soil energy and finally kill it.’
- ‘Consider reworking the roots and continuing to grow the ficus in pots.’
- ‘The ficus would thrive during the warm months on the patio in filtered morning sun, but I suspect summer afternoon sun would be too intense.’
- ‘For instance, in the International Airport area, trees such as neem, tamarind, casuarina and ficus, which absorb sound extremely well, are recommended.’
- ‘‘The dried flowers were my fault; I couldn't help it,’ she says as the camera shows a ficus on her car's roof.’
- ‘For the less adventurous, there is a selection of low-maintenance houseplants such as ficus and pothos.’
- ‘Later that night while I was watering the ficus, Mic finally phoned.’
- ‘ALL my trees including my three foot tall tropical ficus are in either Japanese brown mud pots or Chinese red clay.’
- ‘Common houseplants like chrysanthemums and ferns add oxygen and filter out harmful particles, while aloe vera, philodendron, pothos, spider plants, and ficus reduce toxic chemicals like formaldehyde.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, ‘fig, fig tree’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.