Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A building material made of wood or other plant fibres compressed into boards.
- ‘Cabinets are constructed from inexpensive medium density fiberboard and stained green.’
- ‘Woodchip is used for several purposes namely as a feedstock for fibreboard, cattle bedding or as a boiler fuel.’
- ‘The counters were cast upside down, so the bottom form surface was constructed with two sheets of 3/4-inch-thick high-density fiberboard screwed together.’
- ‘In office buildings, the major sources of formaldehyde are likely to be particle board, fiberboard and plywood in furniture and paneling; glues; and upholstery and drapery fabrics.’
- ‘It can grow on material with a high cellulose and low nitrogen content, such as fiberboard, gypsum board, paper, dust, and lint.’
- ‘Created on supports made of filled fiberboard, often with rounded edges and one or two deep grooves, the paintings recall utilitarian objects like machines or appliances.’
- ‘Modulating vertical panels of deep blue fibreboard, under windows hooded with sunshading wind baffles, spiral up, expressing the rising levels of the interior rooms.’
- ‘For wall surfaces, fiberboard with a textile wrap is acoustically and visually the best solution, and light, neutral shades of beige, gray, or blue in matte finishes are recommended.’
- ‘Depending on the type of roof and the structure on which it is installed, a range of roofing insulation products can be used, including fiberboard, fiberglass, perlite, cellular glass, corkboard, polyurethane and polystyrene.’
- ‘At one of its long edges, the top extends upward, benchlike, to form a backboard; the two perpendicular surfaces are fitted with a single inlaid sheet of medium-density fiberboard.’
- ‘Five smaller horizontal paintings on fiberboard are the more resolved of the two series as they suggest the controlled bonding of a swirling, viscous substance to a smooth surface.’
- ‘If you are planning to paint your cabinets, consider using a manufactured wood product such as medium density fiberboard to construct the boxes.’
- ‘The actual constructions, however, foregrounded human endeavor in the crisply minimal forms and sensuously smooth surfaces of medium density fiberboard.’
- ‘The sheet of fibreboard on the front door hid a security grill.’
- ‘Plastic buckets, medium-density fiberboard, and borrowed carpet tiles create comfortable bench seating with a raked backrest.’
- ‘He was particularly proud that these new speakers were made from solid wood panels, and not fiberboard like many speakers.’
- ‘The construction is a mix of beech plywood with a matt finish and medium density fibreboard for shelving and uprights, painted matt white.’
- ‘Rectangular panels of fiberboard, each painted a solid color, are juxtaposed to create works that achieve harmonic balance.’
- ‘The book also evaluates the use of glass, stone, wood and fibreboard, metal, paint, tiles and various flooring.’
- ‘Most bathroom and kitchen cabinets are fashioned from particle- or fiberboard, which off-gas formaldehyde from the glues.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.