One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The joint of a horse's or other quadruped's leg between the cannon bone and the pastern.
- ‘Mirage, suffering a fracture to his cannon bone and fetlock joint, was euthanized.’
- ‘It's a fetlock injury; a small flake has come off one of the sesamoid bones.’
- ‘‘He broke the sesamoid bones in the fetlock, and horses can recover from that, although he would never have raced again,’ Freedman said.’
- ‘Trainer Carlos Laffon-Parias said that the four-year-old gray colt has had a fetlock problem that led to the decision to retire him.’
- ‘Mamool, a five-year-old son of In the Wings, raced in the Melbourne Cup last year but fractured his right hind fetlock and was eased.’
- ‘The clay road churns red beneath her hooves, her fetlocks are stained as if we rode a berry-field.’
- ‘He initially was removed from stud service due to the condition in March 2003 and underwent fusion surgery on his fetlock that September.’
- ‘Leaning as far as he could over the Friesian's neck, he snapped the whip around the white horse's left back fetlock.’
- ‘It was found that the six-year-old had severely damaged a hind fetlock and the horse ambulance was quickly on the scene to bind up the damaged leg.’
- ‘With anti-inflammatory drugs helping to treat the fetlock injury, Attraction performed admirably in her comeback race, the Hungerford on August 13 at Newbury, leading the way until fading to fourth late.’
- ‘O'Connor has claimed that the substances which showed up in Waterford Crystal's A sample were administered to the horse on July 22 as part of treatment for a fetlock injury.’
- ‘Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf runner-up Spook Express suffered a compound dislocation of her left fetlock joint near the finish of the Matriarch Stakes at Hollywood Park on November 25 and had to be euthanized.’
- ‘Godolphin Racing retired Shamardal on the eve of his scheduled start in the Eclipse Stakes on July 2 at Sandown due to a fetlock injury.’
- ‘The injury occurred on the same day the Maktoum family's Godolphin Racing operation retired dual French classic winner Shamardal due to a fetlock injury.’
- ‘Ruffian suffered a compound fracture of both sesamoid bones in her right front ankle and a dislocated fetlock joint.’
- ‘After an unlucky run at Beverley he was placed in good heats at Doncaster and Ascot before being sidelined with a chipped bone in his fetlock.’
- ‘Longer hair around the fetlocks may well help to protect the heels from re-infection once cured, however, whilst treating Mud Fever it is advisable to keep the hair as short as possible.’
- ‘It will take a miracle to keep this horse's hooves from splitting and its fetlocks from fracturing, but if he can win a few bucks, what does Bourdelle care?’
- ‘‘Attraction seems OK, but she is on anti-inflammatories to treat her fetlock and it is something we have to keep an eye on,’ says Johnston.’
- ‘A progressive three-year-old last season before suffering a fractured fetlock at Goodwood, Court Masterpiece made a full recovery from that injury and made an encouraging return to action, back at Goodwood, last month.’
Middle English: ultimately of Germanic origin; related to German Fessel ‘fetlock’, also to foot.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.