Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Destruction or abortion of a fetus.
termination, miscarriageView synonyms
- ‘The ethical debate that underlies the legal and medical practice of female foeticide as practised in clinics is mockingly addressed in the family planning initiatives that have ironically triggered it.’
- ‘Support the Indian Medical Association in condemning the practice of female feticide and circulate national medical associations with a statement on the issue.’
- ‘Son preference, sex selection, female foeticide, whatever we want to call it, is a damning indictment of India in the 21st Century.’
- ‘This has prompted voluntary agencies like the Kottayam-based Kerala Voluntary Health Services to promote a campaign against female foeticide.’
- ‘With recent census figures showing an increase in the number of girls being sacrificed for the sake of a son, the problem of female foeticide is one that continues to haunt Indian society.’
- ‘A few prominent Jewish ethicists and halakhic experts dissent, seeing embryo destruction as potentially a prohibited form of feticide.’
- ‘The sudden fall in the number of girls in the youngest age group is believed to be proof of the increased incidence of sex selective abortions - or female foeticide.’
- ‘But he made no promise to do something special to root out the practice of female foeticide.’
- ‘First, laws treating feticide as murder do not need to define fetuses as persons.’
- ‘Female foeticide and infanticide have become major areas of concern.’
- ‘In places where female infanticide was a customary practice, female foeticide has come in as a deadly substitute that is more convenient, less traumatic and equally effective.’
- ‘In June, at a workshop on female foeticide in Bangalore, I learned first-hand of certain techniques of contemporary journalism.’
- ‘Experts think that the most important of these is female infanticide and foeticide which are practiced in our country.’
- ‘The deep-seated bias in India against the girl child with the availability of the most modern scientific technique to determine the sex of the foetus has resulted in large-scale female foeticide.’
- ‘To make readers aware of the consequences of female foeticide, we fast forwarded to 2020.’
- ‘Even before birth, the body may be killed through induced abortion and other types of feticide, such as stabbing the fetus in the womb.’
- ‘In Gujarat, too, all kinds of violence, including foeticide, has increased.’
- ‘In India too, with the strong son preference, female foeticide is on the increase.’
- ‘Female foeticide is one of the primary causes of the decline in child sex ratio.’
- ‘Female foeticide is for those who can afford a clandestine ultrasound scan and illegal abortion.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.