One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white salty Greek cheese made from the milk of ewes or goats.
- ‘We have more than enough to make feta and soft goat cheeses, with milk left over for drinking and cooking.’
- ‘There is also a Greek cuisine promotion, which features quasi-traditional Greek dishes, including the appetizer platter with pita bread, hummus, tzatziki, eggplant dressing, Greek yogurt and feta cheese.’
- ‘Cheese has as much relevance now as it does in winter; especially the fresh goat cheeses and lighter cheeses such as feta, ricotta and mozzarella.’
- ‘The hot dishes included lamb koftas with creamy aubergine dip, and grilled vine leaves filled with feta, ricotta, pinenuts and dried tomatoes.’
- ‘They go well with the strong Mediterranean flavours of anchovy, garlic, capers, extra virgin olive oil, rosemary and oregano, and Greek cheeses such as feta and halloumi.’
- ‘Other starters sounded well worth a try, such as the sambusek - deep-fried pastry parcels filled with spinach, feta cheese, sultanas and pine nuts, served with sweet tamarind, tomato and mint chutney.’
- ‘If you don't like the assertive flavor of a blue cheese, try Asiago or feta cheese instead.’
- ‘In this restaurant, you can actually choose which cheese to have with your tomatoes and basil: mozzarella, French goat's cheese, feta cheese, or Bulgarian sheep or cow sirene.’
- ‘Many Greek dishes contain cheeses, such as feta made from goat's or sheep's milk.’
- ‘Other staples include rice, yogurt, figs, shish kebab, feta cheese (made from goat's or sheep's milk), and whole-grain bread.’
- ‘Cheeses follow the general pattern of the Balkan region and include a white brine cheese similar to the Greek feta.’
- ‘Restaurant experiences have helped consumers get accustomed to cheeses like feta and asiago, which were foreign to them just a few years ago.’
- ‘Bulgarian cheese is like feta but sharper and far more salty.’
- ‘These days I can't get away with eating quite so much but I'm definitely looking forward to eating Greek food like feta and hummus when I go out to commentate at the Olympics.’
- ‘Their mild, almost nutty flavour works well with a salty cheese such as feta - though they are sublime with shaved Parmesan, too.’
- ‘Spoon some English mint and tomato mix, Bel Paese, Pecorino Romano, feta, and lamb over each pizza dough and place on the grill to melt.’
- ‘Also absent from the list of toppings are Gorgonzola, feta and blue cheeses, fresh garlic, arugula, zucchini and capers.’
- ‘Limit cheese intake to Parmesan or feta cheese (used on main dishes or salads).’
- ‘Begin a meal with a selection of the house's homemade classic meze, or appetizers, including hoummos, tzatziki, eggplant dip, Greek yogurt and feta cheese.’
- ‘The traditional Greek salad is made with lettuce or spinach, feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, olives, oregano, and olive oil.’
From modern Greek pheta.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.