Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chemical or natural substance added to soil or land to increase its fertility.‘sewage sludge could be a valuable fertilizer for use in British forests’
plant food, dressingView synonyms
- ‘So, we bought more land, spread more fertilizers, and increased our herds in size and number.’
- ‘These crops need heavy inputs of pesticides and chemical fertilisers.’
- ‘Give fruit trees and bushes a topdressing of organic fertiliser, or a mulch of well-rotted compost or manure.’
- ‘This year we will compare the results of crops grown with rock dust, manure, chemical fertilisers and an unfertilised control.’
- ‘But I also like to know that it's been grown without chemicals and pesticides and fertilisers.’
- ‘And we all already know about the damage caused by fertilisers, pesticides, chemicals in our food, and fishing these days.’
- ‘After the war, farmers became much more heavily reliant on the use of fertilisers and pesticides, rather than manure and compost, he says.’
- ‘Toxic pesticides and chemical fertilisers we use in our agricultural fields ultimately reach our waters and pollute them.’
- ‘Organic food is grown without chemical pesticides or fertilizers.’
- ‘Fishmeal and other fish-based fertilisers also supply valuable trace elements.’
- ‘These specialized fertilizers include compost and processed animal manure pellets.’
- ‘The only way to be a successful farmer is to use lots of chemical fertilizers and pesticides.’
- ‘This will oblige hundreds of farmers to limit their use of chemical fertilisers and animal manure.’
- ‘One of the problems was that the super yields were obtained at a cost regarding the use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides.’
- ‘He doesn't use pesticides, or chemical fertilisers; he keeps a few bees to pollinate the flowers.’
- ‘Besides this, chemical fertilizers and pesticides were often doing more harm than good.’
- ‘Organic food is produced without the chemical fertilisers and pesticides used in conventional food production.’
- ‘He criticised modern methods of cultivation and pointed out that the use of chemical fertilisers had affected soil fertility.’
- ‘Compost, liquid fertilizers and organic fertilizers are alternatives that can be used.’
- ‘In modern sugar cane farming, chemical fertilizers and pesticides are used to grow the sugar cane plants.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.