Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A ceramic compound consisting of a mixed oxide of iron and one or more other metals which has ferrimagnetic properties and is used in high-frequency electrical components such as aerials.
- ‘Neodymium magnets have dropped the weight by half of conventional ferrite car speakers and in the aftermarket have gained acceptance.’
- ‘He said that in this approach the core can be a highly magnetic material like iron or iron alloys, while the shell can be a mixed metal ferrite with tailored resistivity.’
- ‘The remainder enters into solid solution in the ferrite with the non-carbide forming elements nickel and silicon.’
- ‘Product groups include passive and electromechanical components, capacitors, resistive products, ferrites, fuses, inductors and filters.’
- ‘Some of the physical incidents in haunts, including interference with electrical equipment and movement of objects with ferrite components, may also be due to anomalous electromagnetic conditions.’
A form of pure iron with a body-centred cubic crystal structure, occurring in low-carbon steel.
- ‘They exhibit an austenitic matrix, although several grades also contain some ferrite.’
- ‘Trip steels have a microstructure with retained austenite, ferrite and martensite.’
- ‘The solubility of both C and N in austenite should be greater than in ferrite, because of the larger interstices available.’
- ‘The refinement of the grain size of ferrite provides one of the most important strengthening routes in the heal treatment of steels.’
- ‘The microstructure is thus converted to ferrite, and the excess carbon is deposited on the existing nodules.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin ferrum iron + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.