One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A container in which fermentation takes place.
- ‘The boil is finished and the wort is being pumped through the cooling coils to the fermenter.’
- ‘His test fermenter convinced him it would be possible to turn organic wastes (a third of the household garbage stream) into fuel and compost.’
- ‘There are temperature controlled fermenters and storage tanks, and good new oak barrels for maturation.’
- ‘It allows more efficient production of ethanol in smaller, less expensive fermentors.’
- ‘After a few hours in a deep-tank fermentor, the bacteria can convert 72 percent of the sugar into mannitol.’
- ‘Harvesting takes place by pumping the suspension of cells and liquid removed from the fermenter through a heated vessel which stops growth and renders the cells non-viable.’
- ‘Now that most of the solids have settled to the bottom, the beer is slowly pumped from the fermenter and filtered to remove any remaining solids.’
- ‘You have fermenters and processing equipment, and also a drying and grinding facility.’
- ‘They've replaced wooden fermenters and lagering vessels with stainless steel.’
- ‘They questioned whether a central tank found on the trailers was a fermenter used to produce large quantities of deadly germs.’
- ‘The report said 37 of 405 fermenters ranging in size from 2 gallons to 1,250 gallons had been removed.’
- ‘As these drawings based on their description show, we know what the fermenters look like, we know what the tanks, pumps, compressors and other parts look like.’
- ‘They included missile components, reactor vessel and fermenters - the latter required for the production of chemical and biological warheads.’
- 1.1 An organism which causes fermentation.
- ‘By definition, foregut fermentors comprise animals with a pregastric fermentation chambers such as the rumen, reticulum, and omasum of ruminants and diverticula or fermentative sacs of other ruminant-like mammals.’
- ‘However, change was found among strains of S. dysenteriae type I as non-lactose fermenter became lactose fermenter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.