One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounalso fenlands
1Land consisting of fens.‘thousands of acres of fenland’
marsh, marshland, salt marsh, wetland, bog, peat bog, bogland, swamp, swamplandView synonyms
- ‘How do you keep yourself from getting lost in the fenlands, my lady?’
- ‘Soon enough, that road came to an end and I turned right onto a long, straight road heading out towards the open fenland, running parallel with my normal outward route.’
- ‘In Cambridgeshire, the winds lifted the topsoil off the fenland.’
- ‘With the rise of the kingdom of Mercia further notable foundations were made in the midlands, especially in the Severn valley, while others emerged in the fenlands, such as Peterborough.’
- ‘Her setting in the flat fenlands remains dramatic, and before seventeenth century drainage works, it would have been far more so.’
- ‘The fenlands of Norfolk are one of the flattest places on the planet and boats are the only way to travel.’
- ‘First and last, though, it is a book about landscape, and especially fenland.’
- ‘The fenlands of eastern England were originally marshland, but have been turned into rich farmland by efficient drainage.’
- ‘Looking ahead, we can more than compete with, say, the fenlands of Lincolnshire but we will have to be innovative and use our strengths in mechanisation and the fact that we can work the land here all year round.’
- ‘The whole trip was a very interesting extension of my experience of the English countryside and landscape, a refreshing change from this place where the fenland is so flat and unbroken.’
- ‘Between the 1960s and 1980s there was massive work to improve the land drainage in the Vale of Pickering and part of this was to change a beautiful, naturally formed, river into what is basically a fenland drain.’
- ‘As you push into East Anglia across the fenland, the earth is utterly flat and the horizon drawn with a ruler.’
- 1.1 The Fens of eastern England.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.