Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Chinese thought) a system of laws considered to govern spatial arrangement and orientation in relation to the flow of energy (chi), and whose favourable or unfavourable effects are taken into account when siting and designing buildings.
- ‘I am trying to balance some energies in my home and have looked at a few systems to do this, feng shui, witchcraft, dowsing… etc.’
- ‘Kanyu is the essence of feng shui; feng shui without kanyu is like a body without a spirit.’
- ‘It is good feng shui if a building is encircled by streets or on a curved road.’
- ‘The root of your problems may be in the design of your home, say practitioners of feng shui.’
- ‘You think about feng shui in terms of the way energy moves through a space.’
- ‘The ambience is totally American, but Chinese feng shui may be the secret to the restaurant's success.’
- ‘And the Getty Museum not only isn't arranged by feng shui, they've never even heard of it.’
- ‘I also found out on Friday that the entire office I worked in was shaped like a giant yin yang - it's all to do with feng shui, apparently.’
- ‘The computer-generated characters will be drawn using the principles of feng shui by juxtaposing light and color.’
- ‘Behind, the island rises steeply with olive- and cypress-covered hills, but this place doesn't have feng shui.’
- ‘It suddenly dawned on me that feng shui is not a martial art, but the Chinese art of arranging furniture and household objects in a harmonious fashion.’
- ‘Edinburgh-based interiors expert Alistair Warner can help with everything from feng shui to colour theory and textile design.’
- ‘Next you'll be running courses on astrology, dowsing and feng shui.’
- ‘I've heard that according to feng shui these types of deviations affect the energy flow in a house.’
- ‘They've also incorporated elements of feng shui into the design and the elements earth, water, fire and air crop up throughout the house.’
- ‘On the coffee table in the sitting room there is a well-thumbed sports psychology book lying next to a book about feng shui - both of which he denies ownership of.’
- ‘The ancient Chinese art of feng shui has been harnessed to create harmony.’
- ‘Not that more needs to be said about feng shui for laboratories, but you did fail to mention the clearest objection to it.’
- ‘These nominees promise that feng shui will promote health, wealth and well-being if incorporated in the design or decor of buildings.’
- ‘You've got an eye for design and a knack for feng shui.’
Chinese, from fēng ‘wind’ and shuǐ ‘water’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.