One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Chinese thought) a system of laws considered to govern spatial arrangement and orientation in relation to the flow of energy (chi), and whose favourable or unfavourable effects are taken into account when siting and designing buildings.
- ‘I am trying to balance some energies in my home and have looked at a few systems to do this, feng shui, witchcraft, dowsing… etc.’
- ‘The ancient Chinese art of feng shui has been harnessed to create harmony.’
- ‘The ambience is totally American, but Chinese feng shui may be the secret to the restaurant's success.’
- ‘Behind, the island rises steeply with olive- and cypress-covered hills, but this place doesn't have feng shui.’
- ‘I've heard that according to feng shui these types of deviations affect the energy flow in a house.’
- ‘Next you'll be running courses on astrology, dowsing and feng shui.’
- ‘Not that more needs to be said about feng shui for laboratories, but you did fail to mention the clearest objection to it.’
- ‘It suddenly dawned on me that feng shui is not a martial art, but the Chinese art of arranging furniture and household objects in a harmonious fashion.’
- ‘The root of your problems may be in the design of your home, say practitioners of feng shui.’
- ‘These nominees promise that feng shui will promote health, wealth and well-being if incorporated in the design or decor of buildings.’
- ‘They've also incorporated elements of feng shui into the design and the elements earth, water, fire and air crop up throughout the house.’
- ‘Kanyu is the essence of feng shui; feng shui without kanyu is like a body without a spirit.’
- ‘It is good feng shui if a building is encircled by streets or on a curved road.’
- ‘Edinburgh-based interiors expert Alistair Warner can help with everything from feng shui to colour theory and textile design.’
- ‘I also found out on Friday that the entire office I worked in was shaped like a giant yin yang - it's all to do with feng shui, apparently.’
- ‘You've got an eye for design and a knack for feng shui.’
- ‘The computer-generated characters will be drawn using the principles of feng shui by juxtaposing light and color.’
- ‘On the coffee table in the sitting room there is a well-thumbed sports psychology book lying next to a book about feng shui - both of which he denies ownership of.’
- ‘And the Getty Museum not only isn't arranged by feng shui, they've never even heard of it.’
- ‘You think about feng shui in terms of the way energy moves through a space.’
Chinese, from fēng ‘wind’ and shuǐ ‘water’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.