One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A timber or metal post set in the ground as a supporting part of a fence.
pole, stake, upright, shaft, prop, support, picket, strut, pillar, pale, paling, column, piling, standard, stanchion, pylon, stave, rod, newel, baluster, jamb, bollard, mastView synonyms
- ‘As we talked, Larry leaned on a cedar fence post, squinting in the noonday sun, and pointed out landmarks on the Bush ranch, three quarters of a mile away.’
- ‘The propeller from the boat's engine was embedded 6 inches into a fence post.’
- ‘It seems Harry got into the pond through a broken fence post.’
- ‘Where once my fence post stood - well, it had actually been lying down on the grass for quite a while - was a newly erected pole.’
- ‘Luke Williams stood along the deserted highway throwing rocks at a fence post, pretending he was pitching in the World Series.’
- ‘The car ploughed off the road and hit a fence post that crashed through the windscreen, leaving him with severe head injuries.’
- ‘A metal fence post was found nearby and it has been used to chip chunks of stone from the other pillars and the monument itself.’
- ‘About ten minutes later, I saw a bird on a fence post below me, assumed it was another Robin, but had a look anyway.’
- ‘Drive a metal fence post into the ground inside the cage and wire it to the fencing to prevent high winds from tipping the tower over.’
- ‘A couple spoke today of their escape after they narrowly avoided being impaled on a stake after their car crashed into a fence post which sliced through their engine and into the passenger compartment.’
- ‘A nice feature about the post spike is, if the fence post breaks, all you have to do is remove the broken post and add a new one.’
- ‘Admin assistant Emma Carter can't believe she's still alive after a dramatic crash yesterday left her upside down inside the roof of her car with a fence post stuck in the engine.’
- ‘The dog-eared flap of cardboard hung on the fence post, stained by a lengthy exposure to the elements.’
- ‘Other guys like their girls thin as a fence post.’
- ‘And, to cap it all, we've a brand new glittery brass number plate for the fence post when it's done.’
- ‘The magnet grabs the metal fence post and holds the gate securely when loading.’
- ‘Then run the wire over to the other fence post, wrap it around the post and secure it with staples.’
- ‘His car suffered superficial damage and a fence post was broken off where the car hit.’
- ‘Remember a wet fence post is also a good conductor of current to earth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.