Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘But Kathy says she steers well clear of steroids because she has seen first hand the devastating effects they can have on feminity.’
- ‘Is feminity only about asserting yourself as woman when you find yourself left behind in a swirl of progressive women?’
- ‘During the last few years, however, feminism in popular culture has declined dramatically, leaving many women and girls feeling embarrassed and ashamed of both their feminity and feminism itself.’
- ‘I think feminity is really important and very strong.’
- ‘One of the most important points to me is that I have always felt as though what constituted feminity was being defined by men.’
Late Middle English: from Old French feminite, from medieval Latin feminitas, from Latin femina ‘woman’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.