Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being female; womanliness:‘she celebrates her femininity by wearing make-up and high heels’
womanliness, feminineness, womanhood, womanly qualities, feminine qualitiesView synonyms
- ‘Be proud of your femininity, your intelligence, and your ability to create life.’
- ‘The destruction of femininity is an erosion of civilisation.’
- ‘The collection also highlights femininity through soft cutting lines.’
- ‘For many people, roses symbolise passion, sexuality and femininity.’
- ‘She's a woman, and dresses with style and femininity, which is wonderful to see.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.