Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a group of light-coloured minerals including feldspar, feldspathoids, quartz, and muscovite.‘felsic volcanic rocks’Often contrasted with mafic
- ‘The enclaves probably represent globules of mafic magma in felsic magma.’
- ‘The rocks of the complex show an overall trend of decreasing mafic minerals and increasing felsic minerals spatially from west to east.’
- ‘The present day volumetric variation in the amount of mafic and felsic volcanic rocks preserved in the Parana and Etendeka provinces is interesting.’
- ‘The alternating bands of mafic and felsic minerals are a striking and distinctive feature of all gneisses.’
- ‘Local hybridization between the mafic and felsic magmas is common.’
Early 20th century: from feldspar + a contraction of silica.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.