One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Convicts and ex-convicts regarded as a social class.‘the felonry have become rampant and insolent’
- ‘Britain's colonial policy was shaped by a desire to limit the evil effects of the felonry on Maori.’
- ‘Historians paid considerable attention to the circumstances that created this unwanted felonry.’
- ‘It degraded the whole of colonial society, both felonry and free.’
- ‘It was almost a game the Criminal Investigation Department played with the felonry, with both parties knowing where, sooner or later, the spotlight of police attention would fall.’
- ‘They displayed a dangerous and disgraceful spirit of favouritism for the felonry.’
Mid 19th century: from felon + -ry.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.