One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Irish or Scottish festival of music and dancing.
- ‘The feis competitions opened on Saturday and Sunday last with Irish dancing at the Southern Hotel.’
- ‘They don't even have to pay for uniforms and transport is provided for all classes and feiseanna.’
- ‘Many of the Easter weekend visitors could be enticed to remain a few additional days, adding to the happy atmosphere provided by followers of the feiseanna.’
- ‘Plaques were given to dancers who gained most points at feiseanna during the year.’
- ‘But it is sad that in these days of relative prosperity that the traditional Easter feiseanna are in danger of becoming extinct because of a lack of cash.’
Irish feis, fess ‘meeting, assembly’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.