Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Ornamental zigzag sewing.
- ‘The most effective stitches are tri-motion straight, zigzag and decorative stitches such as cross and feather stitches.’
- ‘She would add feather stitch embroidery to the neckline of the plain housedresses she bought.’
- ‘Feather Stitch is a little more advanced than some of the stitches we've been doing but I think you guys can handle it.’
Sew (something) using feather stitch.
- ‘Feather stitching, in this example, is used in an eighth-inch space between eighth-inch tucks.’
- ‘You can vary the tension and the width of the stitches to create different effects, just as in Feather Stitching on plain fabric.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.